Thursday, December 3, 2009

massaged kale salad recipe

To celebrate the new-found ability to keep my fridge cold, I'll share one of my favorite recipes: kale salad... it's a great way to get some fresh greens into my diet during the colder months when kale's still in season, and versatile enough that I don't get tired of it. I used to make a simple marinated version of it, but my friend Tracy shared the trick of giving the kale a salt massage, which saves considerable time... I can eat it immediately after making it, rather than waiting overnight while it marinates. Optional additions or substitutions include fresh fruits, dried fruits, nuts, seeds, hard-cooked eggs, fresh herbs, mushrooms, fresh vegetables, etc. I usually make a double batch and snack on it all week long. Bon appetit!

Massaged Kale Salad
6 servings
Ingredients
1 bunch kale, de-stemmed & cut into bite-sized pieces
1t medium-coarse salt
1/4c olive oil
2T apple cider vinegar (or more to taste)
1/4c finely diced red onion
1/3c currants or dried cranberries
3/4c diced apple
1/3c sunflower seeds, pine nuts or pumpkin seeds
1/3c crumbled gorgonzola, optional

Directions
Massage salt into kale for 2 minutes. Gently stir in oil, vinegar, onion, currants/cranberries, apple & sunflower seeds/pine nuts/pumpkin seeds. Taste for salt & vinegar. Gently stir in optional gorgonzola (or store in fridge and add gorgonzola individually just before each serving).


No comments:

About Me

I go by the name of Myst. Addicted to freedom & somewhat of a nomad at heart, I hail originally from Seattle, WA and currently spend most of my time splashing around & about Washington State's magical Olympic Peninsula...

About My Van

Appa the Wonder Yak is a pale yellow 1981 Volkswagen Westfalia camper van. She's been converted from air-cooled to water-cooled and runs on a Mazda RX-7 B13 Rotary engine. She enjoys ramblings along forest roads, has a large appetite for motor oil & is particularly proud of her environmentalist bumper stickers...

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Email Me

I would love to hear from you! Feel free to email me at nomadvan@gmail.com...

Translator

i luuuuuuv presents

Nomad Van store at Amazon.com

  © Myst 2009

Back to TOP